The Friends of Norcross Center, Inc.
The Norcross House was built in the 1880's as a summer home for the family of J. Franklin Norcross. He was sent by his father and uncle, the Norcross Brothers of Worcester, to operate the brownstone quarries they had purchased in 1876.
The architectural style is a late Victorian version of the Greek Revival period. With its three gabled wings, scrolled posts and bay window, the house reflects gracious family living of the Victorian age. A carriage house, one of the few remaining in town, stands northeast of the house.
The Norcross family owned the property until 1949, when it began a lengthy transition through other uses. The East Longmeadow Tea Room occupied the first floor until 1953, when the property was converted into the Busy Bee Pre-School.
In 1961, it became a short-lived studio for artists. The carriage house was a gallery.
Podiatrist Dr. Leon Feffer, bought the house in 1961. It served as his residence and office until his death. When his wife subsequently died, the Springfield Day Nursery purchased the property from her estate in 1999. Their plans for demolishing the house and erecting a new day-care center were ultimately unsuccessful, setting the stage for our preservation effort today.
Recently threatened with demolition, the Norcross House was saved with a united effort by many citizens of East Longmeadow and their friends.
The Norcross Center, Inc. of East Longmeadow, a nonprofit corporation, has taken on the steps toward Restoration and Preservation. The ultimate goal is the creation of a historical research and education complex at the Norcross House, called the Norcross Center. It will complement the Museum and Commision Headquarters House, and nearby Library.
The Norcross Center today is used for a variety of events. Arts and crafts galleries, parties, historical education, and receptions are to name a few.
A Community Tag Sale to benefit The Norcross Center will be held on Saturday, June 21 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The Center is located at 89 Maple Street in East Longmeadow.
Monies are needed to repair a section of the slate roof and the related gutters and for a summer time painting of the exterior of the home.
Approximately 20 residents will be offering items for sale in addition to the items for sale by the Friends of the Norcross Center.
Additionally, 11 regional authors will be available to autograph their books. The authors include Michelle Barker, Sparkie Allison, Bobby Richardson, Patricia Williford, Eric Bascom, George Kingston, Diane Darin, Jacqueline Jack and Durham Caldwell.
“Faith of our Founders: A History of the First Five Churches in East Longmeadow, Massachusetts,” written by the late Merle Safford, will be available and will be signed by her youngest daughter, Melanie Merceri. Monies from the sale of the Safford book benefit The Norcross Center.
Visitors will be able to tour the historic home which was built circa 1880 for J. Franklin Norcross who operated seven brownstone quarries in East Longmeadow.
For Your Next Special Occasion
Birthday Parties, Engagement Parties, Weddings/Receptions, Cocktail & Social Hours, Business Meetings.
Very affordable rates for an elegant event!
For information, call:
(413) 525-1122 or (413) 525-2883